Note: This article covers creating presentations on mmhmm for Windows which is a legacy application. Download the new mmhmm for the most up to date experience on Windows.
How to add slides
Use the "New Slide" button on top of the slide tray to add new slides.
Types of slides in mmhmm
You can create different types of slides in mmhmm:
Create simple slides with text title and body text. They’re simple on purpose, so your audience doesn’t have to read a lot of text while you're speaking.
Here's how to create a text slide:
- Click the New Slide button and then click Text.
- In the window that appears, type in your text in the "Title" and "Body" fields, and click Done. The text slide will now appear in your slide tray.
Some rooms come with default slide settings that are designed to match the look and feel of the room you are using. To override the Slide appearance settings, click on the "Appearance" dropdown on the bottom right-hand side of the mmhmm window. Choose your preferred slide design from the list and your preferred color.
You can also customize the room and presenter settings for individual slides by using scenes.
Choose this slide if you want to have your audience focus on you. You'll be the only thing on the mmhmm stage.
To add a media file from your hard drive, click New Slide and choose Media.
You can then navigate to the file on your hard drive and select one to add to your slide tray. To add multiple files simultaneously, hold the Ctrl key down while you click the files you want.
Alternatively, you can add files from your computer by dragging and dropping your files into the slide tray located at the bottom of the mmhmm window.
If you are adding video slides and wish for the audio that's in the video to be audible to your audience, you will need to make a slight configuration to your audio environment.
To add an animated GIF to your presentation, start by clicking the "New Slide" button and selecting GIPHY to find an appropriate GIF by keyword. For more information on GIPHY slides and how to use them, click here.
Show your audience what’s happening on your computer by selecting the New Slide button and then Screenshare. You can then choose to share a specific application window, your entire desktop, or even your iOS device (click here to learn more about sharing your mobile device's screen).
Keep in mind:
- Screen share slides must be added from within the menu. They can’t be dragged and dropped into the slide tray as you can with image files and movies.
- If the window you choose is minimized, you must display it on the desktop before it shows up in your slide tray correctly.
- If sharing a document such as a Google Doc, consider zooming into the content or making the text larger to make it easier for your audience to read.
- If you are experiencing a permissions loop, restart your computer.
Controlling your slides
You have total control over how your slides are displayed:
- Change visibility – The three buttons in the center of the slide tray control slide visibility. By default, your slides are not displayed in full screen, but you can make them full screen by clicking Full. You can also turn slides off or put them over your shoulder again with this toolbar.
- Resize your slides – While your slides are in the Shoulder visibility (this is the default setting), move the mouse pointer over your slide. You will see the border of your slide appear with blue grab handles that you can drag to set the height and width maximums for your slide display area.
- Advance slides – When you have more than one slide in your tray, you can move through slides in sequence using your keyboard left and right arrow keys.
How to reposition slides
To change the order of your slides, click the slide you want to move and drag it to a new position in the slide tray. When it is in the correct position, let go of the mouse button or trackpad to drop it into place.
How to remove slides
To remove a slide, right-click the slide in the slide tray and select Delete Slide to delete it.
You can also use the following keyboard shortcut to delete slides:
You may want to position yourself front and center, you may want to switch quickly to a different room, or you may want to get out of the way of your content. To put your content and yourself in the perfect place every time, you can change the room and presenter settings for individual slides.
To achieve this, click on your desired slide and then select the New Scene button above the slide tray. This will create a new scene for your slide and will allow you to change the room and presenter controls for this slide.
Watch the video below to see how scenes can be used effectively in mmhmm.
Presentation slides - how to import your deck
You can import your existing slide decks into mmhmm to enhance your mmhmm presentation. To import your presentation from PowerPoint, Keynote, or a PDF, read How do I use mmhmm with presentation slides from Google Slides/Keynote/PowerPoint?